When COVID-19 got here round, it supplied a reminder to salons that buyer and employee security are a precedence.
For Man and Stephanie Coffey, the husband and spouse staff and founders of the nationwide franchise Frenchies Fashionable Nail Care, they believed in extremely-clear practices earlier than they have been cool, and now salons nationwide are taking discover.
Champions of Change
It began when Stephanie was a bit of lady who went together with her grandma to get her nails carried out. By means of the years, when Stephanie went to a salon, she seen that instruments have been used repeatedly with out cleansing and the odor of chemical compounds was sturdy within the air.
She and her husband Man had been trying to find a enterprise alternative that would make a distinction, and Stephanie realized the nail trade wanted her. She envisioned a salon that prioritized clear. The primary Frenchies opened in Littleton, Colorado in 2014 and has expanded as a nationwide franchise with salons throughout the nation.
Breaking the Mildew
The Coffeys created a guidelines of all the things they needed to raise concerning the nail salon expertise to make it cleaner and safer for patrons and their technicians.
- Every shopper has a private air flow system at each manicure and pedicure station. Every salon is provided with a chopping-edge ERV or Power Restoration Ventilator to take away stale air and pump in contemporary air, capturing contaminants within the switch.
- All Frenchies salons use a medical grade autoclave to sterilize steel implements.
- They opted to have free standing pedicure bowls as an alternative of the jetted sort which might entice micro organism. As a result of excessive degree of disinfection, there is no such thing as a want for plastic liners within the bowls to supply sanitary foot care, in order to not create further waste.
- The Coffeys don’t use acrylic nails or dips that comprise poisonous chemical compounds and fumes.
Emphasis on Workers
The Coffeys make sure that they be careful for his or her staff too. Each the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention and the Occupational Safety and Well being Administration think about chemical publicity to be a severe well being threat confronted by nail technicians.
- A research discovered nail techs who labored with synthetic nails have been about 3 times as prone to get bronchial asthma on the job as somebody not within the trade.
- Nail technicians are liable to ergonomic hazards that may result in continual aches and pains.
- Whereas many nail salons wages have improved, some staff throughout the nation nonetheless expertise wage theft. These nail techs are recurrently paid lower than minimal wage and requested to work further hours with no extra time pay.
To repair this, the Coffees launched the security measures and put in ergonomic pedicure stations. Frenchies additionally provides paid coaching, above-commonplace wages, and ongoing profession growth in a tradition that emphasizes and rewards staff accomplishment.
A number of staff have gone on to open their very own Frenchies salons. The daddy of 1 salon proprietor whose daughter began out as a nail technician got here to the Coffey’s lately and stated, “Thanks for giving my daughter a profession in an trade she loves.”
To study extra about Frenches Fashionable Nail Care – go to frenchiesnails.com.
For reprint and licensing requests for this text, Click on right here.